I bet every data "expert" who ever had to directly work with clients lived through this before... Especially if in a marketing orientated environment.
Here is a list of my favorite "you're the expert" experiences from meetings with clients or colleagues:
- We know the results of calling 12 users aren't statistically significant, but they are still really interesting and we are going change our strategy because of them.
- "We want you to be more innovative, creative and try out new things" -> after trying out something new -> "don't waste my budget on innovation"
- We did a lot of tests to increase KPI xyz, but they all didn't work. Therefore we think it's the wrong KPI.
- "Why can't we just compare the number of new payers we get after we did xyz with before we did xyz?"
- "Retargeting works great, we shifted all of our online marketing budget into it." -> one month later -> "There weren't any new users we could retarget anymore, retargeting doesn't work."
- Woooaaaah, it's like you guys can look into the future.